Thursday, October 25, 2012

Corpse Bride, Anyone?


I was skeptical about whether I would like Lewis's poetry or not, but now I feel foolish for ever doubting his work.  Reading Lewis's poetry was like watching a Tim Burton film.  I loved the Gothic style of his work as well as the romantic themes within them.  Lewis's poems seem to try and give love advice to young women, telling them not trust every handsome knight they come across, like in The Water-King, or don't make promises you can't keep like in Alonzo the Brave.  This is good advice written into fun poetry.  


To Prof. Porter:  Thanks for putting these poems closer to Halloween. Reading them during this time of the year really added to the overall effect of the poems. Hats off to you. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you! I figured Lewis would be along the lines of what we had read thus far....holy rusty metal, Batman I was glad to be wrong! I do like poetry a little more now than when I started college but it's still not my favorite. I can make an exception for the Gothic genre though! Have you read Christabel by Coleridge? Or Porphyria's Lover by Browning? Both are amazing poems that anyone who enjoys Gothic should make sure to read!!

    ReplyDelete