Reading the excerpts from Minstrelsy of the Scottish Border really helps to illustrate Scott's interest and motivation. He may be a writer, but his is equally a historian of his native country. He travels around Scotland trying to get on record any remnants of the works of old minstrels and bards and the like. I thought the insight into the life of a minstrel was interesting: They could travel around the country with only their songs as payment for food and shelter. Sounds like a pretty good gig to me! (Unless you're a really bad singer and can't get fed or something.)
The Douglas Tragedy at the end of the excerpt is even more significant to Scott because he can trace his mother's lineage back to that clan. I think wanting to know more about his roots drove him to explore Scottish culture on a whole new level. I get that way with my heritage. Although I don't really know many famous people I'm related to, just exploring the different cultures is really fascinating.
I too found insight to the life of a minstrel interesting. But also quite sad. He carried the burden of what he had witnessed; good and bad. To me the minstrel represents Scotland's history book. Very clever approach on Scott's part, I'd say.
ReplyDelete