Thursday, October 25, 2012

Spooky Tales

I was a little unsure about Lewis. I thought I would love Lewis because he seemed a little bit like Edgar Allen  Poe. However, after reading the ballads I came to the conclusion that while the ballads are creepy and interesting, they just do not hold my attention and don't leave much of an impression.  I thought it was very interesting that Lewis collected these creepy ballads from other countries, he seems to be collecting little tokens of their cultures. I agree Ellie's idea that Lewis seems to be trying to give young women love advice; don't give your love away too easily because the "love of your life" might end up hurting you, or in this case he might drown you. Tales of Wonder also seems to be the first of the Gothic genre, I'm interested in knowing how Lewis came up with the idea of Gothic literature and how well this collection of ballads was received.

No comments:

Post a Comment