Thursday, October 25, 2012

Tales of Wonder

I really enjoyed both the water and the fire king. I love the fantastic elements. What I really loved about the water-king was how it flips the notion of chivalric love on its head. The water-king betrays his bride and thus, she dies. The poem ends warning women to be cautious of men's intentions. I found it interesting how in the romantic era their is a poem about men's intentions and how they are questionable. I also found it interesting how the poem mocks chivalric love. M.G. Lewis was definitely mocking the idea of fantastical elements and chivalric love.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the fantasy elements of the poems as well. Especially the warnings to women. While it did seem that Lewis might have had a bad romantic experience or two, the poems posed questions on love and it was fun to see how he poked fun at these things.

    ReplyDelete